With unique climatic conditions, long coastlines and high CO2-emissions, Southeast Asia is highly vulnerable to the effects of climate change yet also offers high potential for emission reduction and mitigation against global warming and climate change. Sustainable consumption and production (SCP) patterns are crucial to mitigate those risks.
Eco-labels convey the message to producers and consumers while green public procurement (GPP) supports SCP on the demand side. In view of the upcoming ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), the large number of existing different eco-labels in Thailand and in the region will increase diculties in term of transparency and accountability.
Almost all eco-labels and green public procurement address environmental, health and social issues. Now climate-relevant criteria is being integrated, with “environment-friendly and green labels” transitioning to the broader “sustainability label” that sees labeling and procurement schemes considering all sustainability aspects, including climate protection.
- The existing eco-labels in Thailand and in selected countries in Southeast Asia are expanded to cover climate protection criteria.
- The Green Public Procurement in Thailand is strengthened.
- The new Green Public Procurement strategies in Thailand are disseminated to other selected countries in Southeast Asia.
- Incorporating climate relevant criteria into existing eco-labels: The project will conduct analysis of existing eco-labels in Thailand and selected Southeast Asian countries. Eco-labels will be enhanced and expanded to cover climate relevant criteria. Capacity building for the private sector will be also oered to cope with the new criteria.
- Developing and strengthen climate-friendly GPP: Product groups of the Thai GPP product list with additional CO2 emission reduction criteria will be promoted. The product with additional criteria shall be tested with suppliers, in order to ensure its economic viability.
- Regional outreach of the Thai climate-friendly GPP in the region: The climate-friendly GPP strategy for Thailand will be disseminated to other selected Southeast Asia countries via regional technical working groups and other platforms.
- Mr. Thomas Lehmann